Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:17:56 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        lyz@ems.guangzhou.gd.cn
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP and MEM

> 1.I install Freebsd3.2-RELEASE in my server.But it didn't support two
> processor.

You need to recompile your kernel with SMP support enabled.

> The Hardware's configuration like this;
>
> Compaq 3000
> two Pentium II 400 CPU
> 512M memory
>

> 2. The other question is my compaq 3000 server down again and again when MEM
> increase to 1 G.
>    I have set the option in kernel like this:
>

> options         "MAXMEM=(1024*1024)"
>

> appreciate for your help.

Right.  So you've compiled a kernel which insists that your machine has
1G of physical RAM yet you state above that it has 512 M.  I'm guessing
this is a Bad Thing [TM].  You only need to specify MAXMEM if FreeBSD
isn't detecting the amount of RAM you have correctly.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083