Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 1996 23:04:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        thompson@znet.com
Subject:   Re: trying to upgrade to 2.2

As mark thompson wrote:

> My question is:
> 1) is '../../contrib' a new idea in 2.2?

Yes.  Basically, /usr/src/contrib contains the unmodified original
distribution files (mostly), while local changes are maintained where
they belong to.  The make process never descends into the `contrib'
directory, but the files there are rather being used by .PATH and
-I../../contrib/<something> stuff in the real Makefiles.

> 2) is something supposed to override these and it isn't being set up?

I cannot parse this, sorry.

> 3) is something faulty with my procedure?

Probably. :)

> =================
> 4) I notice that in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs just about all of the
> source has been moved to Attic, and are not tagged for 2.2. Are the
> gnu things being moved out to ports?

They have been moved to `contrib':

j@uriah 1529% ls $CVSROOT/src/contrib/
/home/ncvs/src/contrib:
bind/       gcc/        groff/      libpcap/    tcpdump/
bison/      gdb/        libg++/     nvi/        traceroute/
cvs/        gperf/      libgmp/     tcl/
^^^^

Of course, not exactly _all_ of /usr/src/gnu/usr/bin has been moved
out into the Attic.  The Makefile skeleton remains:

j@uriah 1530% ls /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cvs:
contrib/      cvs/          doc/          Makefile      tools/
CVS/          cvsbug/       lib/          Makefile.inc

That's the part that finally uses the source code from contrib/cvs.

--
cheers, J"org