Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:36:21 +0200 (EET)
From:      Calin Andrian <calin@ibd.dbio.ro>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BackUPS Monitor

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Bruce M. Walter wrote:

> What I propose is this:  If the device driver supports multiple status flags
> (i.e. status_powerfail, status_lowbattery and status_cablecheck OR'd
> together) on the read AND can shutdown the inverter the way the kernel
> gods want it to, the actual program that monitors that device is totally
> irrelevant.  If we can get a device driver together which is 100% solid,
> then who cares if it's backupsd or apcmon that monitors the device?  If
> someone would commit it, it would be in the operating system once and
> for all and we'd all have a flexible working solution.

I new from the very beginning that what I wrote was meant to be included
in a more sophisticated UPS monitor (if at all). My problem was that I
needed the minimal thing to do the job. As soon as I got it working, the
next night we had some power outages and we survived ! We "upgraded" our
system from Interactive 4.1 to FreeBSD 2.2.5 at the beggining of the year
and this was the main thing that was missing.
On the other hand, I don't really have the time to develop it much
further. I am now working on starting up a www site based on MetaHTML on
the above-mentioned 2.2.5 server. It's a lot of fun !

So, I think you should include in your work whatever you think is
significant from what I wrote. We have here only APC back-upses and I
don't know how other upses work. Or, could you send me your work ?
(best would be in ftp:://ftp.dbio.ro/incoming). I'd like to look at it.

About the kernel patch: I don't have the 3.0 sources. It seems that the
guys have a cpu_power_down() that is willing to do the job. See the mail
from Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> a few days ago on -hackers.

Regards,
Calin