Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:41:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        andrews@technologist.com (Will Andrews), frank@exit.com (Frank Mayhar), current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Current)
Subject:   Re: 3C589 problems (was: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th)

Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20000118181840.H457@argon.blackdawn.com> Will Andrews writes:
> : On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 02:48:25AM -0800, Frank Mayhar wrote:
> : > Interestingly, I rebuilt world with the latest pccardd changes and,
> : > suddenly, the 589D started working perfectly.  Unfortunately, the
> : > 574BT doesn't work at all now.  It appears to configure properly, but
> : > it doesn't transmit or receive.
> : My 574BT works if you hardcode the pccardd IRQ to 9. I did this by
> : editing rc.pccard and replaced the pccard line with:
> :
> :         pccardd -i 9 -f ${pccard_conf}
> :
> : It works fine for me. I think there's something wrong with pccardd, and
> : that's why it keeps using IRQs I don't even have specified in
> : pccard.conf. I should do more research on this, though.
> Are you sure that pccard_conf isn't set to /etc/pccard.conf.sample?
> I've *NEVER* seen pccardd use interrupts that it wasn't told about,
> and I've tried many times to reproduce this.

Just for the record, it turned out that the problem I saw with the 574BT
was cured by moving pcic0 from irq 11 (which the PCI bus had appropriated)
to irq 10.  I put the 574 on my last free IRQ, 3.  (Don't you hate laptops?)

Many, many thanks to Matt Dodd and Warner Losh for their help, patience,
suggestions and code!  They were terrific.

Now I'm looking forward to the newcard cardbus support so I can finally use
the 575BT which came with the laptop.  (Tapping fingers impatiently.  :-)
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com