Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 18:50:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.5-RC2 boot floppies -> kernel panic detecting fxp0

Hi,

I think I hit a bug on the 4.5-RC2 boot floppies yesterday:

I downloaded the two boot floppies for 4.5-RC2 and tried to boot them on a
box in my office. Everything went ok until after visual kernel config the
kernel booted and detected the Intel 10/100B/100+ EtherExpress NIC (which
is an onboard device AFAIK) as fxp0 and dropped into a kernel panic. The
error message was something like "couldn't map interrupt", IIRC. (Sorry
for being not very precise, it was quite late yesterday when I tried it,
and now I'm at home).

A full installation from these floppies on another machine without an
Intel NIC worked almost smoothly, apart from the fact that after
disklabelling und hitting "q" to continue installation newfs obviously
forgot to create some filesystems and I received lots of "write failed: no
space left" messages and had to start over (hitting "w" after
disklabelling to commit the changes...).

regards,
le

--=20
Lukas Ertl                              eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX-Systemadministrator                Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
Zentraler Informatikdienst (ZID)        Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
der Universit=E4t Wien                    http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/