Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 16:24:44 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        David Cramblett <david@axisintegrated.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WaveLan IEEE Wireless PC Card Setup

> Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 11:11:50 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On May 15, David Cramblett wrote:
> >I am trying to setup an Lucent Technologies/Orinoco WaveLAN Wireless IEEE 802.11b card.  I saw in the kernel config file that there was support for this type of card and I had hoped that it would detect the card on install and I would only have to do some small amount configuration.  I have since discovered that it is not that simple.  I have found the "pccard.conf" and "rc.pccard" files.  I added the startup options into my rc.conf and on boot up it attempts to start pccardd, but say's card is not configured.
> >
> >oh, and I am using a ISA PMCIA socket adapter card into which the WaveLAN card plugs into, not a Laptop.
> >
> >I would appreciate any insight or documentation anyone may have on setting up such a device.
>
> My guess would be that it is pccard support (lack thereof) in your kernel that
> is causing a problem.  Take a look at
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/FreeBSD/163/0/3788553/+wi0:+No+irq%3F!%0A&hl=en
>
> for a description of setting up a desktop with the Orinoco cards.
>
> On my laptop I just added a
>
>     insert  /etc/setup_$device
>
> to the pccard.conf entry for the WaveLAN card and put all my
> wicontrol statements in that file.  Rebooted and I was on the
> wireless lan.  Easier than the Macs and W95 PCs I had setup earlier.

While this does worked, the official way to do this is with the
/etc/start_if.wi0 file (assuming the card is wi0.)

Also, the default for FreeBSD is now to start in BSS (infrastructure)
mode, so it works out of the box if you have a base station. If you
want to run ad-hoc you will need to create the above mentioned file
with a call to wicontrol to set the card to ad-hoc.

The most common problem is the IRQ allocation which is very kludgey in
FreeBSD at this time. Try to find a free IRQ. 9 and 10 are most likely
to be free. You can scan through dmesg output for IRQs in use.

Then create /etc/pccard.conf and put a line:
irq 9 10
changing 9 and 10 to appropriate IRQs for your system. (You can have a
list of 1 or more entries, but with only one entry, you can use only
one pccard at a time.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)