Date:      Fri, 09 May 2008 17:51:10 +0100
From:      Stephen Allen <sdafreebsduk@rowyerboat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions from a Total samba Novice.

Hi Martin,

> 	I would have had to enabled nfs client if using
> mount_smbfs, correct?

Nopes - stick to using the mount command.  Depending on the filesystem
you specify (with the -t option), it will call the relevant mount
command itself (eg. mount_smbfs, mount_nfs).

> 	When I built the system in question, I did not enable
> nfs capabilities and don't really want to if I can avoid doing
> so.

You don't need it.

> 	It sounds like smbclient fits the bill for now, but
> thanks to all of you for making things more clear.
>
> 	It seems that /usr/ports/net/samba3 gives one a whole
> boatload of possibilities.

Although installing samba will give you smbclient and a load of other
things, if you don't need them I wouldn't install it.  From what you've
previously explained, everything can be done with the (already supplied)
mount command.

Steve :)