Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:26:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      wo_shi_big_stomach <wo_shi_big_stomach@yahoo.com>
To:        Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>, Eric F Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip addr changes on 5.3 but not on 4.8

> >you might try paging through "dmesg | more" to see
> if
> >the system recognizes your interface on bootup.
>
> %dmesg | more | grep dc0
>
> dc0: <82c169 PNIC 10/100BaseTX> port 0x6800-0x68ff
> mem
> 0xe9000000-0xe90000ff irq 11 at device 9.0 on pci0
> miibus0: <MII bus> on dc0
> dc0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:cc:40:55:cf
> dc0: if_start running deferred for Giant
> dc0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port
> 0x64,0x60 on isa0
> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> fdc0: <Enhanced floppy controller> at port
> 0x3f0-0x3f5 irq 6 drq 2 on isa0
> fdc0: [FAST]
> fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
> dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state
> ..
> .. 332 identical lines deleted
> ..
> dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state
>

> Any problems here?

You *may* have a mismatch in autonegotiation or manual
speed/duplex parameters between dc0 and whatever it's
plugged into. Make sure both sides are set to
autonegotiate or, if they're set manually, that both
use the same speed and duplex parameters.

Personal preference, but I disable autonegotiation
wherever I can. I have had more connectivity problems
with autoneg than virtually any other networking
issue.

/wsbs