Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 1996 07:54:01 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpeg stuff.

Amancio Hasty writes:
>I like it!!
>Now if we can put together a nice system to create and / or edit mpeg
>streams we are in business.

well, I wouldn't call it `nice' but we can do lots of stuff with
what we've got.  I haven't been able to get production quality,
but then I'm no artist. ;-)

Yesterday I commited ports of:
mpeg_encode  -- UCB's mpeg-I encoder
mpegedit     -- A buggy editor for mpeg video streams
mplex        -- an mpeg audio/video => system multiplexor
splitmpg     -- a system de-multiplexor

and I've got ports on the way of mpeg_bits and mpeg_blocks
They work with mpeg_encode to tune a parameter file.

It wouldn't be too tough to edit nearly any mpeg stream as follows:

1) get the file, say http://www.heuris.com/clips/martini.mpg
2) use splitmpg to de-multiplex the audio/video
3) use musicout to dump the audio to pcm;
   sox to convert to somthing usable;
   I haven't found anything to dump video frames, yet.
4) use mpeg_edit, auedit, whatever to muck with these.
5) reconvert the audio to mpeg; re-roll (with mpeg_encode) the video
   if you somehow unrolled it
6) multiplex the streams back together with mplex (or system_encode)
7) play it on your favorite player.

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com