Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:26:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
Cc:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request for change to /etc/rc script

> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 02:09:47PM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
>
> >It's not a NIS bug, it's operator error. Not having local entries
> >for root and wheel is just asking for trouble.
>
> I would disagree with you there. We do not want to have root password
> files on hundreds of thin client workstations, if we have to change
> the root password for those workstations, we want to change it once.
> If the computer boots without network services, we don't care, because
> it dosen't have anything of value on it. When the network comes back
> up, just reboot it, these things are designed to be 'dumb'.

How about leaving the 'root' entry in master.passwd intact (so you can
still boot single user, etc.), and adding a 'toor' or 'nisroot' (call
it whatever you want) user to the NIS maps.  This way, your machine
can function without an NIS server should the need arise, but you
still have a global superuser account.  You can even disable the local
root account if you wish (use '*' in the password field).  As Lyndon
said, and I agree, "not having local entries for root and wheel is
just asking for trouble."

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

"You know if they ever find a way to harness sarcasm as an energy source,
you people are all going to owe me big."
	-- Bill Paul