Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 10:33:23 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, cjc@dialin-client.earthlink.net
Subject:   Re:(2) DES 2 MD5

Well I already made a change to passwd and perl so that the
newly generated passwords will have MD5!
It was easy hack with some minor problems =)
I have DES installed on my system so it can understand MD5
and DES. I also saw /usr/lib/libscrypt.a library which
was supposed to be used for MD5 crypt mechanism only. So
I linked passwd with /usr/lib/libscrypt.a at compile time.
Now every time I change a password of a user the new password
comes with MD5 regardless of if old password is DES.
The minor problem is if user wants to change his/her password
then the password program doesn't work because it asks for the
old password first and the MD5 library can't understand DES so
it just denies changing the password. I guess the same problem
would happen with perl but fortunately we dont have such
scripts which checks the password =)
I made the same in perl and linked perl to libscrypt.a now
the adduser script is also producing passwords in MD5!

I assume this is quite practical way to deal with the problem.
I searched the mailing lists but people were talking about
there is no way to create new passwords with MD5 if you use
DES. I see there is one way! =)

So I hope this mail would be useful at some degree for
people who are migrating from DES to MD5.

Plus now we have so fast machines we couldn't
have access 2 years ago.
I put my entire passwd file to a password cracker
program and I got 1/3 of the passwords in 6 hours
with a pII-350. I assume pIII-750 would do a lot
better though.
So there can be made a script to regenerate all
the passwords with DES when the password cracking
program finishes its job =)

Evren