Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 07:48:55 -0700
From:      Alex Huppenthal <alex@comsys.com>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@complx.LF.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   10,000 plus /etc/passwd file - NIS+?

We are a mid-sized ISP, using FreeBSD for email, pop3, web hosting and
dialin authentication.

We're designing a set of systems that will handle up our current
customer base, around 5,000
up to 10,000.

FreeBSD's password file is a database, so I'm assuming lookups are
relatively fast.

My question is, has anyone used NIS or NIS+ or Bind to manage password
files? We're
about to start testing with our 5K user base, looking for performance
and efficiency,
and fault tolerance/high availability.

The requirements are duplicate, in-sync copies of
password/authentication files so that
radius can run on at least 2 servers...

Our historic approach as been to rsync off-line hot standby systems.
This is simple, inexpensive
and with one command and a reboot we can swap our failed unit out.

The new system will tolerate a failure of one of our servers.

Thoughts on this?

Alex

Sopris Surfers, LLC
Carbondale, CO