Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 12:07:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing tsearch routines.

In article <20000701121305.C96751@bone.nectar.com>,
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 06:14:07PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > I don't think you should bother asking if you're going to give people
> > less than 24 hours to respond.
>
> IMHO, something that is specified by several standards and included by
> all BSDs but FreeBSD have pretty good call to be on a fast track.

Sorry, but my reaction to that is "baloney."  We have always had a
convention of waiting at least 72 hours for people to reply to a
request for comments.  Anything less than that simply doesn't make
sense in a global project that is largely made up of people with jobs
and, in some cases, Real Lives.  It is disrespectful to the other
members of the project to ask for comments and then take action before
a reasonable amount of time has been allowed for responses.  All it
takes is a little bit of patience.  It's not as if 72 hours were an
eternity.

There is nothing about tsearch that makes it urgent.  There is no
reason that one couldn't wait for 72 hours to see what everybody had
to say about it.  The only exception to the 72-hour rule is urgent
security-related fixes.  Tsearch certainly doesn't fall into that
category.

John