Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:43:41 -0400
From:      Jerry <gesbbb@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Upgrade: Ports That Need Rebuilding

--Sig_/ACcjZmmgZiRhQhA5hkWNDhw

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 18:27:32 +0200
Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl> wrote:

>On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:17:08PM +0200, Mel Flynn wrote:
>> >
>> > If you switch to another major version of FreeBSD, the best course
>> > is to remove and reinstall all ports.
>>=20
>> All ports depending on libc. Which is everything except
>> scripts. Removal isn't necessary. ports-mgmt/portmaster is one of
>> those scripts that doesn't need recompilation and can be used to
>> force recompilation of all ports that need it. Two for one deal.
>
>Unfortunately, no port management tool deals completely with this
>situation. The libc version isn't listed as a dependency, AFAIK.
>
>I tend to make a list of all installed ports (with portmaster -L), wipe
>all ports and remove any remains from /usr/local. Then reinstall all
>ports listed as 'root ports' and 'leaf ports' in said list. This makes
>sure you have a clean and consistent set of ports.

I have never actually had to delete any existing files. I simple
deleted all files in the '/usr/ports/distro' directory, then download
the required java files (assuming you have a version installed) and
then run: "portmanager -u -f -y -l" You could skip the '-l' if you
didn't want a log file created; however, I wouldn't. I have not had a
problem with this method yet.

--=20
Jerry
gesbbb@yahoo.com

Yeah, there are more important things in life than money,
but they won't go out with you if you don't have any.