Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2006 20:06:55 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Jeffrey Horner <jeff.horner@vanderbilt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Behavior of run-time linker on 6.1-RELEASE

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1

On Thu, 2006-Oct-05 13:58:18 -0500, Jeffrey Horner wrote:
>I've noticed that setting the RPATH of a binary will help find libraries=
=20
>that the binary has been linked against, but the RPATH of the binary is=20
>ignored when a library itself is linked to another library. Is this=20
>expected behavior?

IMHO, this behaviour is far more sensible that the opposite (which
I've run into on another OS).  In my case, I had a perl executable and
was building DBD::Oracle.  The DBD::Oracle module needs to link
against Oracle so it needs an RPATH that points into the Oracle
library.  The logical place for this is the DBD::Oracle module - I
shouldn't need to include the Oracle library into the perl RPATH on
the off-chance that I might want to load a .so that needs an Oracle .so

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1

--4bRzO86E/ozDv8r1--