Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 96 00:48:06 -1000
From:      mikel@bns.com.au
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI CD-ROM causing auto filesystem check failure

G'Day,

I am running a FreeBSD 2.1.0 box with the following hardware

Adaptec VL SCSI 2842A
2 Seagate SCSI Hard Disks
1 Wangdat 3200 SCSI Tape Drive
16 Meg of RAM
486 dx 33 Motherboard

Quite happily.  Yesterday I decided to add a Sony SCSI CD-ROM to the
system.  Thinking that it should just plug in and work (after reading the
handbook), I shutdown the system, plugged in the drive and rebooted.  When
the kernel startup got to identifying the SCSI devices it saw everything,
but produced the following output:

<SNIP><Identifys correctly the two Seagates and the WangDAT correctly><SNIP>

cd0(ahc1:3:0): CD-ROM
cd0(ahc1:3:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:20,0
cd0(ahc1:3:0):  Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed cd
present.[400000 x 2048 byte records]
swapon: adding /dev/sd0s1b as swap device
Automatic reboot in progress...
/dev/rsd0a: clean, 42862 free (6 frags, etc
Can't open /dev/rsd2s1e: Device not configured
/dev/rsd2s1e: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rsd2s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTANCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
Automatic file system check failed... help!

<And then goes to an emergancy sh shell.>

Now, I looked at the above and thought that I forgot to put "device cd0"
in the kernel, so after recompiling the kernel and running "MAKEDEV cd0"
it still didn't work.

As soon as I unplug the CD-ROM though, everything runs smoothly.  Now, my
thought is that I have to try and stop the boot process from autochecking
the CD-ROM, as it doesn't need checking as such... Or do I need to whack
something into /etc/disktab?

Thanks in advance

Regards and Salutations,

Mikel

Mikel Lindsaar     |  "If the dream is big enough,
mikel@bns.com.au   |        the facts don't count!"
(Under Construction)    http://www.bns.com.au/webdev/mikel/