Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:36:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Groener <root@groenquist.com>
To:        Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: init: /bin/sh terminates abnormally in /etc/rc Qlogic problem? profiling timer expired

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Mark Rowlands wrote:

> I saw the thread form 6/7 september on profiling timer expired.
> I too have a qlogic card! and the same symptom
[snipped]

> and firstly I get a failure at init
>
> init: /bin/sh terminates abnormally in /etc/rc  exiting to single user mode
>
> secondly after running rc manually I get the profiling timer errors, everything
> comes up ok but with the occasional profiling timer error. Booting the old
> kernel does not exhibit these errors.
>
> Has any one found a fix: worked out what I screwed up or whatever.?
>
> If someone could even confirm that I have followed the right procedure
> for updating from 4.1-Release to stable I would be gratefull.
> I have tried #freebsdhelp #freebsd and freebsd-questions without
> success.
> below is my kernel  / cvsup file / and the procedure I followed.

[snipped]

I and others have noticed this issue since early Sept (my first post on this
issue was Sept 6) and all that we have been able to find as a common thread
is the Qlogic SCSI card.

My tests so far:

build/installworld from 4.1-RELEASE source:         works fine
build/installworld from 4.1-STABLE prior to Aug 23: works fine
build/installworld from 4.1-STABLE after Aug 23:    profiling timer errors
build/installworld from 4.1-STABLE as of today:     test in progress

There were a number of changes made to the sys/dev/isp/* codebase on Aug 27,
and this may be part of the issue. However, the maintainer (mjacob) has
released a major rewrite of the isp driver code just today which I am going
to test again. It's a terrible pain to test, but worth it since more than
a few of us are having issues.

I have tried changing RAM to rule out recent RAM upgrade with same results.
(The original RAM upgrade predates the problems, and had been running 4.0
without problems previously).

I have attempted installs with absolutely "clean" cvsup's (delete /usr/src
entirely and let cvsup re-populate it).

I will coordinate data from others with the same problem if necessary.
In particular I'd like to ask what Qlogic cards are in use and what IRQ's
they are using for them, etc.