Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:58:32 +0100
From:      Massimo Fusaro <mcfusaro@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing packages using ports after freebsd-update doesn't work on amd64

2009/1/26 Sorin Panca <sorin.panca@psrk.com>:
> Tore Lund wrote:
>> Sorin Panca wrote:
>>> Prior to starting the upgrade I did a pkg_delete -a. I wanted a clean
>>> system (just like a reinstallation). How do I ensure that all packages
>>> were removed by pkg_delete -a ?
>>
>> I cannot help wonder why you try to do a binary update.  Saving some
>> configuration files and doing a reinstall might have been easier IMO.
>
> I'm located in Europe, while the server is in the US. I also think that
> a serious OS should be upgradable both from source and binaries without
> booting it from other media, at runtime. Asking people near that server
> to do something I should be able to do is never a good option.
>
> Regards,
> Sorin.

Please remove the directory /var/db/ports/ruby and stick to default
CFLAGS by removing all CFLAGS definitions from /etc/make.conf (you can
add your options later)

It seems that ruby always uses "-pthread" even if threading is not
enabled, -fPIC in NOT needed.

Check that libpthread.* is a symlink to libthr.* and that libthr.so ->
/lib/libthr.so.3
--
regards
  -Max