Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 09:53:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Tony Griffiths <tonyg@onthenet.com.au>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: relative alpha speed

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Tony Griffiths wrote:

> Doug Rabson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, John Polstra wrote:

> > > ... until you make the Alpha conform to the IEEE FP rules and handle
> > > the whole range of numbers it is supposed to handle (-mieee).  Then it
> > > becomes much slower than ix86 once again.  I've been disappointed in
> > > the performance of the Alphas, given that performance is supposed to
> > > be their strong point.
> >
> > I think the problem may be with our compiler. I don't think the penalty
> > for using -mieee ought to be so high. I wonder how well the Compaq
> > compiler deals with this.
>
> I've been lead to believe that the main problem with ieee format FP is the
> method of handling exceptions (NANs, etc).  Normally, with 'native' FP,
> exceptions are handled imprecisely while I belive that with ieee FP the
> default is precise exceptions.  Of course with a pipelined architecture,
> there is a considerable penalty handling precise exceptions (ie. the pipeline
> has to be drained after each FP operation that could possibly generate an
> exception!!!).
>
> Check to see if there is a conpiler switch for this...

The compiler switch is what we are discussing. In egcs/gcc-2.95, -mieee
forces the compiler to restrict its use of floating point in a way which
allows the kernel to emulate operations involving or producing NaNs, INFs
and denorms. This tends to slow the code down somewhat, possibly because
gcc is being extra conservative.

> And yes, compiling for Alpha object code is going to be considerably slower
> than for a CISC environment.

True.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com