Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 1997 16:28:29 CST
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   blocking read and threads

  The program that I am working on created a new thread for each
newtcp/ip based connection.  In each of these new threads, a read is
proformed to build the request to process.  This read needs to be a
blocking read.  I have not done anything to change signal mask, etc.
What I am getting at the moment is the read will fail and set errno
equal to EAGAIN.  I can but all this in a loop ignoring when read fails
and errno is equal to EAGAIN but this is very ineffecient considering ow
fast this loop runs.  Any ideas?

  I am using the newly updated libc_r library.  This version is working
MUCH better for me than the previous version since the syslog() function
does not cause the program to stall forever.

  Thanks.

---
Kent Vander Velden
graphix@iastate.edu