Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:30:48 -0400
From:      DW <spock@dwinner.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        danial_thom@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: *bsd firewall appliance?

Danial Thom wrote:
> You clowns with your diskless servers just crack
> me up. Everyone brags about their years of uptime
> on their servers, yet you just can't put up a
> firewall or router without a disk. What, are you
> still using mfm drives or something?

My motives have nothing to do with reliability; I am not philosophically
opposed to disks or moving parts. I'm just reaching the point more often
lately where I'm looking at:

1) Form factor (there are organizations where real estate holds almost
as much premium as department funds).

2) Heat output (I just had 2 more 2-ton mini-split A.C. units installed
-- that'll hold me for a while, but at the rate we're expanding, I don't
want to be faced with a situation again where I'm looking at a box doing
a small job like running BIND  spitting out 1,000 BTU's/hour)

3) Power consumption (why draw more than necessary?)

It seems that more and more my bottlenecks have nothing to do with
performance or reliability, but rather physical facility management. It
all adds up.