Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:12:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jason <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: I was rooted using telnet

Umm.. no.

If I was awake at the time I would have seen the telnetd daesome using
100% of the CPU.  For them to keep accessing my box without running the
buffer overflow script over and over they would have to have created
themselves an account.  The buffer overflow exploit takes a while to run,
uses a lot of bandwidth and causes telnetd use noticiably more CPU
resouces than normal.  If they create themselves accounts then I would
know it really fast several ways.

Since this box is more or less a shell server, I pay very very close
attention to whos connected and whats going on.

Had I not been sleeping I would have noticed instantly and said
"Hmm.. this isn't right."

I do agree that once a box has been rooted it is not trustworthy.  Which
is why I have switched to a completely different box. :)

----
Jason
jason@jason-n3xt.org