Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:12:19 +0100 (CET)
From:      Remy Nonnenmacher <remy@synx.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/cam cam_xpt.c

On 22 Mar, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>> > In truth, I'm fairly disappointed by the IBM drive... especially compared
>> > to the Conner one.
>>
>> The DCAS-34330xxx are the poorest disks money can buy. Your numbers are
>> correct.
>
> I have to disagree. These drives were very good when they first came
> out. That doesn't mean I'd buy them today :-)
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

Hum.... I have to check the release date but, in the mean time i got 10
of them, i was using DGVS 9ZX/10K and Seagate 18G/10K and that was
another music... (However, i found seagate far to be reliable). I'm now
building an experimental machine with 12x18G Ultrastar2 (with 4MB
cache) and ccd. Honestly, DCAS and DDRS series are suffering from slow
SCSI processing and poor tagged-qeueing. Softupdate and
Write-cacheing helps a lot (I know. I wouldn't be using WC with
SoftUpdates).

PS: I also updated Adaptec BIOS to 1.34.2 on a machine that
periodically crashed and problems disapeared. I do not understand why
since i always believed that the aic driver takes full control of the
card. Can someone explain ?