Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 13:13:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        phil@kconline.com (Phil Lewis)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as DNS

Phil Lewis stands accused of saying:

> We're a new ISP looking to put in our own DNS. We have a T-1 being
> installed the 1st of May. I've heard many good things about FreeBSD. I
> was wondering if you would have more specific info on how FreeBSD works
> with the new Netscape server software. Is this even necessary? The other

Netscape's server stuff is for WWW service.  FreeBSD includes the 'bind'
nameservice daemon, which is the standard nameserver in use around the
world.

In short, FreeBSD is an excellent platform for a DNS server.

> area we are considering is NT but not sure about its stability.

Eyecch.  Don't even _think_ about using NT for serious Internet server
applications.  There's some interesting thoughts on the whole topic (but
a seriously out-of-date opinion on FreeBSD 8) at
http://www.amazing.com/internet/.