Date:      14 Feb 2003 12:01:50 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrade loses sawfish config tools

--=-JuEa52CHp6JJcKc4MWtV

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 11:57, Randy Bush wrote:
> > Probably because you're no longer running sawfish.  The new GNOME
> > 2.2 window manager is metacity.  See the GNOME 2 FAQ for more
> > info: http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html
>=20
> bingo!  but ...
>=20
>     8.  What window managers work well with GNOME 2.2?
>=20
>     The gnome2 meta-port installs the metacity window manager by
>     default. Another popular window manager that works well with
>     GNOME 2.2 is sawfish. Sawfish is distributed as part of the
>     x11/gnome2-fifth-toe meta-port.
>=20
>     To switch between metacity and sawfish in GNOME 2, you will
>     need to do the following:
>=20
>     killall metacity; sawfish &
>     gnome-session-save --gui
>=20
>     The gnome-session-save is important. Without it, the window
>     manager will revert back to the one previously configured upon
>     next login. To switch back, simply reverse sawfish and
>     metacity.
>=20
> but when i
>=20
>     gnome-session-save
>=20
> i get this nasty message
>=20
>     Could not connect to the session manager
>=20
> likely because i am not running gdm or anything like that.  i'm an
> xinit kinda guy, as i occasionally run from command line.  now,
> xinit did start a gnome-session, and it is happily running
>=20
> so how do i save the current session's configs in my current
> circumstances?

As long as you exec gnome-session you should be fine.  If something
can't connect to the session manager, it's probably because you've
damaged something.  The session manager connection parameters should be
in the env var SESSION_MANAGER.  Usually, this points to a file in
/tmp.  If you're done something to your /tmp directory, you may have to
logout of X, check permissions, then log back in.

Joe

>=20
> randy
--=20