Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 23:34:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        patl@asimov.volant.org
Cc:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, terry@lambert.org, julian@ref.tfs.com, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995 patl@asimov.volant.org wrote:

> |>  > The run levels seem have fairly standard meanings - PLEASE stick with
> |>  > the level definitions as used by Solaris, HP-UX, etc.  There is no
> |>  > excuse for gratuituous incompatability.
> |>
> |>  This seems a little cockeyed, requesting no changes in a "standard" item,
> |>  that would be totally non-standard in BSD from the start anyways.  Are
> |>  there BSD based systems, not running init/inittab SVR type things, that
> |>  use this setup?  Because, if there aren't, asking for standardization is
> |>  simply tying the hands of designers, for no good purpose.
> |>
> |>  If I'm right, and a BSD standard to this doesn't exist, then an
> |>  oppurtunity is presenting itself to use the best of what's out there.
> |>  This isn't linux or SYSV, so reasons based on such systems are out of
> |>  place.  Am I wrong?
>
> 'BSD style unix' is a red herring here.  The operative word is 'unix'.
> If we're doing something similar to what SVr4 or any other flavor of
> unix does, and there is no STRONG technical reason to be different,
> any differences are simply gratuitous.  Compatibility helps -all- unixes
> in the fight against Win* and other brain-dead toy OSes.  (That happen
> to have the bulk of the market share...)
>

> I reiterate:
>
>     1.	Gratuitous differences are BAD.
>
>     2.	Compatibility is GOOD.
>
> Of course, I -could- be mistaken.  I've only been a systems level
> software engineer for twenty three years now...

OK, let me see if I have this right:

1) We need an improved startup script system.
2) There's a very good framework for one existing, it has a lot of bugs
   that many people find completely objectionable, but it's a good starting
   point.
3) Removing the perceived bugs in that other system makes it different
   from the original, displeasing those that happened to have a lot of
   experience using it, and don't want to learn another.
4) We, instead, must use another custom setup.  It, too, will be
   non-standard, but at least it won't be traceable to the One True System.

Is this a fair summary?

I'm not in a fight with anyone, even Microsoft.  I wish our fellow
enthusiasts running Linux well, but I don't want to copy them.
I really enjoy FreeBSD, and I enjoy showing it to friends, like I
enjoy sharing favorite books.  FreeBSD is quite different than other SYSV
systems, and everyone associated with it wishes that it remain so.  If
I'm discussing making gratuitous changes to a part of the BSD Unix
standard, I apologize, I'm completely wrong (and embarrassed), but I
don't think so.

I think I've beat this to death, I'm probably boring folks, so I'm gonna
drop it.  I see why it wasn't done before, tho.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |