Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 18:46:25 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ksh93

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:28:11PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Considering the AT&T license, is this even an option?  The actual
> license text is impenetrable for me, but here are some excerpts
> from <URL:http://www.research.att.com/~gsf/download/faq.license.html>:

I don't pretend to understand it, either.  However, in a Slashdot
interview, David Korn said:

   The primary drawback to ksh has been that it was proprietary. This
   has recently changed however. The new AT&T open source license
   allows ksh source and binaries to be shipped as part of the system
   and is now just beginning to start showing up in Linux systems; for
   example the latest slackware. The source or binary for over a dozen
   architectures can be downloaded from
   (http://www.research.att.com/sw/download). Hopefully other systems
   will start shipping ksh93 and start using this for /bin/sh as well.

So although I don't understand the license, I think David's intent is
pretty clear.  Should we decide that importing ksh93 is worthwhile
(as I think it would be), then I think it would be prudent to ask David
or AT&T for a statement just to be on the safe side.

> There is also a termination clause.

That might be more trouble.  Personally I don't think such clauses hold
much water, but some reasonable people disagree.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org