Date:      Mon, 12 May 2008 07:11:03 +0930
From:      "nepbabu" <nepbabucxspamfree@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Bulk] Re: root login stops working

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

Thus spoke Chad Perrin on Sunday, 11 May 2008 at 13:58:46 -0600:
 #0: Sun Feb 24 19:59:52 UTC 2008     root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/u=
sr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
> >=20
> > About a day after install root login no longer works - even on the cons=
ole.

[ .... ]

> For security purposes, you should probably actually configure your Debian
> system to behave more like your FreeBSD system, with regard to SSH.  Set
> the PermitRootLogin value in /etc/ssh/sshd_config to "no" to prevent
> remote logins over SSH as root.  This behavior is intended as a security
> measure.  To access root remotely, log in over SSH as an account that has
> su access, then su to root, rather than just logging in as root directly.

I think sshd_config in Debian has "PermitRootLogin" to "no" by default (i.e=
=2E, as part of default installation). It's been a while since I've munged =
with the default configs (correct me if I am wrong).

--=20
Cheers,
Bikal KC (Please use: nepbababucxspamfree_at_yahoo DOT ca)
Journal: http://nepbabu.livejournal.com || pubkey: see header
"Rule 6: There is no Rule 6." - Rob Pike
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities=
=2E" - Fran=C3=A7ois-Marie Arouet

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND

--d6Gm4EdcadzBjdND--