Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 23:01:21 -0400
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        Gunnar Olsson <gunnar.olsson@xelerated.com>, "Freebsd Hackers (E-mail)" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [hackers] Re: virtual consoles

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> writes:

Peter> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 12:04:45PM +0200, Gunnar Olsson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> To increase number of xterms I thought.  only the option MAXCONS
>> could be changed.  But even though I change it from 16 to 32, I
>> still only get 16.
>>
>> Someone there who can give me I quick answer?

Peter> Actually, you do have 32 consoles; you just cannot switch to

Ok... yes ... that's true ... you should put that setting back down to
something sane.  The real answer is that you need to make more pty's.
Given that people use lots of xterms these days, the default of
setting up 16 should be examined, too.  Do this as root:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV pty0 pty1 pty2 pty3 pty4 pty5 pty6 pty7

Dave.