Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 19:09:30 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on receiver lockups

Eric Lee Green wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Aug 1999, Doug wrote:
> > Eric Lee Green wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I cvsup'ed "stable" (just the kernel)
> >
> >       I'm glad it worked for you this time, but I can't let this pass without a
> > warning. It's a very bad idea to upgrade your source then build just the
> > kernel. You should always make world first to avoid possible
> > incompatabilities between the kernel and your userland programs.
>
> Hmm, is the kernel in "stable" going to change enough for this to be a big
> deal?

	In general? No. If you are following the -stable mailing list you should
be in good shape. However you have to balance the number of times such
breakage is going to occur, and the concurrent inconvenience vs. the
inconvenience of doing the make world (which is really small once you get
into a rythm with it). Of course, it's your decision ultimately, I just
didn't want any new users reading your post to get the idea that upgrading
kernel without upgrading userland too was the "right" way to do it.

Good luck,

Doug