Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 08:06:54 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xterm dumps core

>What Andrey *might* be overlooking is when the X server is FreeBSD
>and the client is one of the legacy systems.

The X server knows nothing about locale. The server and client do not
exchange locale information. Locale is entirely client side data. Clients
running on legacy systems use the legacy system locale names for things
like calls to setlocale. The legacy system locale name is mapped to the
corresponding X locale name in order to load the X locale database, which
will be used for things like creating input and output contexts.

>> As an aside I would say that I believe all these companies take their
>> standards compliance very seriously. Yet none of them have a problem with
>> not following RFC 7000 in choosing names for their locales. The switch
>> from foo.ISO8859-1 to foo.ISO_8859-1 seems completely gratuitous. The fact
>> that he will compound it by failing to have any sort of backwards
>> compatibility is inexcusable.

>The backward compatability won't be an issue for the Pure BSD environemnt;

How naive are you? I know at least two people who don't run a "pure
FreeBSD" environment. Andrey and I both use X. The only reason I know
that Andrey runs X is because he has broken backwards compatibility and
now his xterm dumps core.

I believe that the average user thinks he or she can just upgrade FreeBSD
and continue using the rest of his or her installed software without
change. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. Backward
compatibility will certainly be an issue for those who don't/can't/won't
upgrade their XFree86 with the new XFree86-plus-FreeBSD-2.1-changes at the
same time they upgrade FreeBSD.

It's all well and good to say that people should just automatically do
the upgrade, but one need only look at the molassis-like pace at which
people are moving from XFree86 3.1.1 to 3.1.2 as evidence that there is
considerable resistance to changes like that.

>if X throws around only official names internally for things like font
>selection, then he should be safe dropping non-RFC 7000 locales entirely.

Define safe. By dropping legacy FreeBSD locale names (in preference for
RFC 7000 names) without providing a transitional period during which
backwards compatiblity is maintained, he is going to either break a lot
of people's work environments, or he is going to force them to upgrade
XFree86. That doesn't sound like "safe" to me. Given that all it takes
is a few symlinks to maintain compatibility I fail to understand his
resistance to it. There is no standard that requires locale names take
any particular form. Andrey seems to think that it would be convenient
to use names that are in use elsewhere, but in reality he's going to
inconvenience a lot of people. His argument that backwards compatibility
is bad because it allows users to continue using deprecated names is
completely specious. He's just being stubborn and FreeBSD customers are
going to suffer for his mule headedness.

And FWIW, X does only "throw around" official names. Fonts use XLFD names;
XLFD is an X Consortium standard. X locale names are registered names in
the X Consortium Registry, the were chosen by X Consortium members, i.e.
companies like Sony, Fujitsu, NEC, and Okidata, and OMRON, just to name
a few.

--

Kaleb