Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:44:06 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Release Schedule for 2006

Uwe Laverenz wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 06:44:48PM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>> It looks like in the course of writing your long email you forgot to
>> describe any of the problems you are having.
>
> I don't know his exact problems either, but I could name you a few
> examples that currently reduce the fun of using FreeBSD:
>
> - To my surprise it's almost impossible to use the parallel port with
>   interrupts ("interrupt storms"), polling mode works...

It doesn't surprise me, as most printer hardware is USB nowadays, so I'm
sure that these bits haven't been well exercised lately. If there is a
regression in this area in RELENG_6, it would be worth reporting to this
list, hopefully with enough detail that a developer could help you
troubleshoot the problem.

> - wlan is broken, my Thinkpad keeps losing WPA-PSK connection very often
>   (probably kern/88793).

Two things, first I seem to recall someone saying that the ral hardware is
not all that hot to begin with, and you'd be better off with another wifi
card. If that's not possible, have you tried upgrading to the latest
6-stable? If it's still not working after that, please report it to the
list. Also, it's worth noting that if you're trying WPA on 5-stable, you're
not likely to succeed. The infrastructure was greatly improved for 6-release.

> Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't want to complain, I just wanted to
> give you some examples.

Ok, assuming we can take you at face value here, please note the consistent
item in both of my responses above. The only way we can fix problems is if
we know they exist, and the users experiencing the problems are willing to
help with details, and testing solutions. The nature of PC hardware is such
that no matter how much a developer tests on what they have (and some of our
developers have extensive hardware testing facilities, often purchased with
their own money), there will always be corner cases. FreeBSD got to the
state that it is in right now (good or bad) because the community of its
users helped make it that way. The only way it gets better is if people help
make it better. Relying on "them" to do it for you is not the FreeBSD way.

Doug