Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 11:45:20 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        Otter <otter@otter.cc>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: heads up on adduser and X

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 10:04:02AM -0400, Otter wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >   Awhile ago I asked this list for any insight about why I couldn't bring
> >   up X on some ~test accounts that I set up weeks ago.   No response so
> >   I rolled up my sleeves and here is what I discovered.
> >
> >   Be careful about choosing options when you use the adduser script.
> >   Rather than simply choose the defaults, I chose <user> and the group
> >   ``wheel'' which caused permission problem with xdm or startx.  When
> >   I modified the passwd and group files to <user>:<user> X was much
> >   happier.
> >
> >   Hope this saves a few others some head-scratching... !
> >
> >   gary kline
>

> I'm in the system as a member of "wheel" group and I have never had
> problems with permissions of xdm or startx. I've never had those
> problems with a 2.2.x or any 3.x release. I'm running 5.0 now... still
> running smoothly. Do you have XF86 4 installed? I'm still on 3.3.6. I'm
> curious to hear why this is a problem for you.

	I'm ~kline and in the wheel group (and others) and everything
	works well.  What messed me up was in selecting `wheel' from
	the adduser script.  I thought this would automagically add my
	new accounts to wheel in /etc/groups.

	In /etc/passwd I found that adduser had created:

	test:*:1009:0:test:/home/test:/bin/csh

	This was what xdm|startx choked on.  When I created a `test'
	entry in /etc/groups and modified the passwd entry to:

	test:*:1009:1009:test:/home/test:/bin/csh

	things began to work.

	There were miscellaneous other troubles that I found and fixed,
	but I believe the above was the main problem. :: Not understanding
	the fine-print.

	gary