Date:      Sun, 14 May 2000 18:04:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed patch for PR misc/18466

:Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> writes:
:> Index: anonFTP.c
:> ===================================================================
:> RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/release/sysinstall/anonFTP.c,v
:> retrieving revision 1.29
:> diff -u -r1.29 anonFTP.c
:> --- anonFTP.c	2000/01/25 19:16:31	1.29
:> +++ anonFTP.c	2000/05/14 17:44:11
:> @@ -217,7 +217,7 @@
:>      SAFE_STRCPY(tconf.upload, FTP_UPLOAD);
:>      SAFE_STRCPY(tconf.comment, FTP_COMMENT);
:>      SAFE_STRCPY(tconf.homedir, FTP_HOMEDIR);
:
:why not call strlcpy instead of the SAFE_STRCPY macro that calls the
:sstrncpy and the strncpy?

    I didn't write SAFE_STRCPY.  Replacement is a good idea, but
    would be future work.

:> -	char *line = malloc(21);
:> -	sprintf(line, "USA_RESIDENT=%s\n", USAResident ? "YES" : "NO");
:> +	char *line = malloc(URMSIZE);
:> +	snprintf(line, URMSIZE, "USA_RESIDENT=%s\n", USAResident ? "YES" : "NO");
:>  	lines[0] = line;
:>  	nlines = 1;
:>      }
:
:Why not call asprintf/safe_asprintf here?

    Look a little down in the code, you will notice that it rewrites
    the buffer.  asprintf only allocates what it needs, which may
    not be enough.

    (If I had written it I would have simply reallocated the buffer,
    but since I didn't.... this would be a future improvement to make).

:> +void
:> +safe_asprintf(char **pptr, const char *ctl, ...)
:
:It would seem to me a good idea to make a v-version of this function,
:even if there's no place right now that wants to call it.
:
:/assar

    Under normal conditions, yes, but there is not a single line of code
    in sysinstall which uses varargs, and it only takes 10 seconds to
    add a v-version so we'll leave that for another pass (perhaps a
    later pass to get rid of all the static buffers).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>