Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 16:16:55 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Bill Sandiford" <sysop@interlinks.net>
Cc:        "Bill Sandiford" <bill@interlinks.net>, "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0 Release and pw command - Potential Bug?

> If there was an error message or a return code I would of posted
> it...however since there was none I didn't...Nothing comes up on the
> screen...syslog doesn't print anything...I have even tried redirecting the
> output to /dev/console so that I wouldn't miss something that happened while
> cron was running the script...All produce nothing except for the text that
> the script is supposed to print out.

Ok, but that was only half the question; pw also returns status codes
according to <sys/sysexits.h>.  Something like:

echo password | pw args...
echo "pw returned $?"

Can you send a sample, minimal example that fails?  I tried:

azaria# crontab -l
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.nextN12946 installed on Thu Oct 22 16:15:52 1998)
# (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 1.11 1997/09/15 06:39:15 charnier Exp $)
16 * * * * /tmp/pwtest
azaria# cat /tmp/pwtest
#!/bin/sh
echo password | /usr/sbin/pw useradd foo -h 0
azaria# finger foo
Login: foo                              Name: User Foo
Directory: /home/foo                    Shell: /bin/sh
Never logged in.
No Mail.
No Plan.

on a 3.0-RELEASE vintage system, so it doesn't seem to be fundamental
breakage.