Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:37:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   no NIC found

Hey all, I'm trying to get on the 5.3 bandwagon with my Toshiba
Tecra 8100 after using 4.x on it for years (all same hardware).
The only problem I have is that my ethernet card is not seen.
It's a 3com 3c589c, which under 4.x worked right out of the gate
with the ep driver.  Now when I try to start pccardd manually I
get the "fatal error: no PC-CARD slots" message in
/var/log/messages.  ifconfig -a gets me a list of plip and lo
interfaces only.  The only thing I could find online was a
thread saying there was a bug:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugbusters/2004-December/000070.html.

Is this still the case?  It just seems hard to believe that I
can't use a pcmcia card (I will try to find another one to test
with, but this one has worked under 4.x FBSD, 3 Linux distros
and 3 windoze versions).

=====