Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 23:02:07 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>, MIHIRA Yoshiro <sanpei@sanpei.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comconsole

Doug wrote:

[about boot -P]
>         Hrrm... it works fine in /boot/loader.rc on -current, maybe it
> doesn't work in -stable. My apologies if so.

If it works on -current, is by some magic trick. :-) I just checked
the source, for the sake of it...

>         Agreed, however there are two issues here. First, the man pages
> all say that /boot.config is deprecated. Also, what I'd *really* like to
> do is get a 'boot -P' in as early as possible, then still have the
> autoboot option in loader. As far as I can see, that's just not possible,
> although I'd love to be proven wrong.

Options (as far as loader goes):

load kernel -h
or
set console=comconsole

Both will set up boot through the serial console, without
interfering with normal working of autoboot. A -P in /boot.config is
prefered, though, for the reasons Nordier gave.

>         Wow.... where were you last week when I asked for a list like
> this. :-/  Could you add one more detail to this list, namely what config
> files get executed when in this schedule? It would be really helpful to
> me, and I'm sure others. I've read the man pages till I'm going loopy on
> them and it's sinking in very slowly, but not fully there yet.

Patches to the man pages would be welcomed.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"Would you like to go out with me?"
	"I'd love to."
	"Oh, well, n... err... would you?... ahh... huh... what do I do
next?"