Date:      Sun, 13 Jul 1997 11:49:46 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>, Nathan Dorfman <nathan@senate.org>, FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrading XFree86

Chuck Robey:
 |I want to upgrade my XFree86 to 3.3, but I have a ton of stuff in my
 |existing /usr/X11R6 ... does anyone know if XFree86 can be upgraded via an
 |overlay?  Otherwise, this's gonna be the upgrade from hell ...

I know what you mean.  For the same reason we compile non-X ports into
/usr/local, I'd sure like to see our X ports compiled for /usr/local/X11.

I've never untarring on top of an existing dist because: 1) some XFree
alphas I believe have mentioned, don't do that -- it won't work, and 2) if
I don't like the new version, I'll want to go back or switch back and forth
to help debug the new, and no guarentee that untarring the old on top will
get me back to square 1 (likely, but no guarentee).  [Backing the whole
thing up first is a pain and a space killer, and (for me) the only reason
to do that is because all our ports are mingled into the files].  I instead
use a custom script to cross-link all the port files into the new distdir,
and then make /usr/X11R6 a symlink.  Works, but wish it wasn't necessary.

Randall Hopper