Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:20:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Running Sybase...

I've been working on getting linux version Sybase going on
FreeBSD 2.2.7.  What I've discovered so far, more or less in the
order of discover...

[details of wrangling with rpm's omitted.]

1. The emulator load executables using ld-linux.so.1 but the
   sybase binaries just segfault unless started with
   ld-linux.so.2.  For the moment I'm just using a symlink to
   get around this.

2. The dataserver (tries to) allocates a ~12MB shared memory
   segment. A substantial increase in of SHMMAXPGS in the kernel
   config is needed to get past this hurdle.

3. Next, the SIOCSPGRP ioctl isn't handled by the emulator.
   This is a relatively simple fix once I found out what the
   failing ioctl actually was. (I added a couple other related
   ioctls that were missing while I was at it.)

4. With that done, the dataserver launches without any error
   messages. But at or near the end of initialization it falls
   into a loop generating the message:

      Linux-emul(1531): setup() not supported

   The Linux man page indicates that it it simply returns -1 with
   an EPERM error when called from a user process. I changed the
   call to return that, but the server still loops making the call.
   This is a bit puzzling.  Ktrace shown this as the loop:

     1531 dataserver CALL  getdomainname
     1531 dataserver RET   getdomainname RESTART
     1531 dataserver CALL  getdomainname
     1531 dataserver RET   getdomainname RESTART

   So I'm puzzled.

5. The client library has some problems recv, somehow associated
   with failed hostname lookups...it is returning "invalid
   argument".  Maybe the same problem as #4?

I'm stuck at #4 and #5 for the moment...if anyone has some
suggestions, they would be most welcome.

-john