Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:07:03 -0500
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dell Inspiron 5000/7500

> Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 11:54:58 -0400
> From: Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
> Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 5000/7500

> Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> > I installed it on an inspiron 3800, I don't know about the modem, but
> > there is no cardbus support for the 3com ethernet that comes with it,
> > There is support in the works though as far as I know.

> OK, fair enough. Don't think I would need the 3Com ethernet that bad to
> begin with.

> Did you get X to work at all?

> Don't worry, be Kneppie!
> Jan

I have it running (4.1) on a 5000. It works pretty well. The internal
modem is a win modem, so it's useless. I don't have a 3Com card with
it. The ethernet in the dock comes right up as fxp. I got sound working
(only through the headphone jack - known problem) with the beta code
for that sound chip set.

I have only been able to get X to work, if I have an external monitor!
Very strange, it comes up on an external monitor then you can hot swap
to the built in. I don't get that. I think that's with 3.3.6.

I have do have USB and PCCards working (16 bit not 32 bit CardBus). I have
an Intel 10/100 PCCard, and I believe an old Megahertz modem.

I haven't tried many others. I think I got an Adaptec 1460B working.

My USB Microsoft Intelimouse Explorer works, but I haven't got the
wheel working quite right. But I don't worry much about that.

Hmm, that's about all I can think of at this time.

Paul.

--
HOW A PERSON LEARNS TO KISS

"You can have a big rehearsal with your Barbie and Ken dolls." --Julia, age 7