Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 95 11:58 MET
From:      me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com (Michael Elbel)
To:        mark@grondar.za
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gripe of the week (tm) :-)

In pcs.freebsd.ports you write:

>> still try to open /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults.  No?

Not necessarily

>Hmmm. This seems like a half decent first approximation. My original gripe
>was to get the user-generated X binaries out of /usr/X11R6, and if we have to
>leave a symlink in this (X11R6) tree to the .../app-defaults, it is a
>lot closer than not doing it at all.

If it's just app-defaults then there are standard ways to have a
search path for that. There's the environment variables
XFILESEARCHPATH, XUSERFILESEARCHPATH and XAPPLRESDIR all of which can
be used to find app-defaults files in 'non-standard' places
(Do a 'man X' e.g.). How to set them globally is left as an exercise
to the reader :-)

Michael--
Michael Elbel, Digital-PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org
Fermentation fault (coors dumped)