Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 15:10:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux vs freebsd testimonial

Since we've gotten along fairly well in our migration from Linux, I
thought I'd share my experiences as well...

We currently run on FBSD:

1 Shell/user www (was NetBSD 1.0)
1 DNS/mail/dialup auth/syslog (these two are sharing mail spool over NFS)
1 utility/backup/freebies
1 DNS/mail for seperate, wacky project
2 virt www servers (3 are still Linux)
2 co-locate www servers (www.firstview.com 3.6G/day, www.villagevoice.com)

These have been the most trouble-free machines we've worked with.  Some of
the recent security problems were a bit tough (lots of cvsup-ing), but
nothing compared to the nasty Slackware Linux Bug-o-the-month.  The only
reboots *any* of these machines have seen were intentional, which is
something I just can't say about Linux.  Performance is much better, and
the "out of box" configuration is a lot more sensible than Slackware.  A
few of these machines really get beat on hard, and they just ask for more.

We have to keep one Linux web server for compatibility with some odd
sourceless C cgi's, but the other two will be history soon.  Our news
server is running Linux, but it's being replaced with a machine to be
named "fridge" which will have 3 SCSI busses and 15 drives, and of course
be running FBSD.

I must say, this has made my job much easier.  Linux is just too
unpredictable when you don't have the time to play the
"kernel-of-the-week" game.  One of the Linux boxes still does the routine
of freezing with no log entries or other hints; which is extremely
frustrating.  FBSD just seems like it was meant to be in a production
environment...

Thanks to all involved,

Charles

spork@super-g.com