Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:20:49 +0100
From:      Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI Attach (acpi_ibm) stops mouse from working

Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:04:52 +0100
>> From: Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I have recently setup an IBM/Lenovo T43 with RELENG_7 as of mid last
>> week, however I have a problem with the acpi_ibm module.
>>
>> If I add acpi_ibm_load="YES" to loader.conf I get the following message
>> during boot:
>>
>> psm0: unable to allocate IRQ
>>
>> This is followed by a message stating that the acpi_ibm module has
>> attached to IRQ 12.
>>
>> If I remove this module from loader.conf and boot the system the mouse
>> attaches and works as expected.  If I then kldload acpi_ibm the module
>> attaches to acpi0.
>>

>> Is there any way to make this work without loading the acpi module after
>> boot?
>
> I have a T43 and see the same thing if I load drivers in
> /boot/loader.conf. I have seen it with both umass and it's USB brethren,
> and if_ath. If I build them into the kernel or load them after the
> system boots, there is no problem. Otherwise, no IRQ for the mouse (and
> no mouse).
>
> But you don't have to explicitly load ACPI. It's "magic" and
> automatically loads if you don't disable it in hints. If it loads that
> way, I have never had problems with the mouse.
>
> jhb had some ideas of what caused the problem, but I have never had
> time to pursue it and it is pretty rare.
>
> Try removing the load from /boot/loader.conf and see if it works and if
> you still get ACPI.

If I remove acpi_ibm_load="YES" from loader.conf I do indeed still get
acpi.  But what I don't get are access to the IBM acpi extensions such
as being able to use the access button to launch applications.  It all
seems to be related to the order in which the modules are loaded. If
acpi_ibm is loaded last then all is well, if not then it attaches to irq
12 clobbering the ps2 port for the mouse.

Tom