Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:41:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        David Holland <dholland@cs.toronto.edu>
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, jin@george.lbl.gov, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld for loading dynamic library changed in 3.0-RELEASE?

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, David Holland wrote:

> The Linux ld (has has been noted already) is the same as the freebsd
> one. It also requires that you have a *.so filename present. The
> reason is that ELF does not enforce any semantics on the SONAME of a
> library, so it's perfectly legitimate to have a libfoo.so.5-pizza-6.

If this was true, then mico's configure script wouldn't properly detect
shared libs. But it does, except on FreeBSD/ELF.

> Now, if you have libfoo.so.5-pizza-6 and libfoo.so.5-sushi-3, how is
> ld supposed to guess which one is the "greatest" value?

I'm sure the a.out ld has code for this type of thing.  Why not emulate
its behavior?

- alex

| "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern  |
| technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat." |