Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:11:17 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Lauri Watts <lauri@kde.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HEADS UP: misc/kde3-i18n* [was Re: HOLY COW! Ports grew by 130MB!]

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 02:18:11PM +0200, Lauri Watts wrote:
> Ok.  What am I missing?
>
>  /usr/ports/misc  du -sh
>  10M    .
>
> (and that's after the repocopies)
>
> Each one is quite tiny, and most of it is packing list:
>  /usr/ports/misc/kde3-i18n-sv  du -sh
>  72K    .
>
> 42 x 72K = 3ish megs total new stuff.
>
> Are you mirroring the entire cvs repository, instead of cvsupping? on a 28.8
> kb line? *why*?

Probably because he prefers to do cvs operations on a local
connection instead of over the network.  It's a good strategy
for people on slow or expensive links, even better than
cvsuping the actual contents..  especially for developers.  There
are still lots of parts of the world where disk space is >100
times cheaper than bandwidth... and there are only a few where
bandwidth is actually cheaper than disk.  =)

In any case, Joe Karthauser (cvs@ person) has removed all but
the latest revisions on all of these plist's which should get rid
of about 125MB or so of the extra data.  I don't have any regret
about losing the history considering what is gained.

Sorry to all the people who downloaded this stuff before it
became apparent.  I hadn't realized how big the RCS file was.

Regards,
--
wca