Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:36:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
Cc:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple routes to the same destination

On 20 Sep 1999, Ville-Pertti Keinonen wrote:

> zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu (Zhihui Zhang) writes:
>
> > As said by the 4.4 BSD book (page 423), 4.4 BSD does not support multiple
> > routes to the same destination (identical key and mask). Does the radix
> > tree code in FreeBSD - 4.0 has the same limitation?  I am wondering if
> > there is already a solution for this?
>
> How would the routing code use multiple routes?  You'd need additional
> rules to determine how to use them (e.g. round-robin for load
> balancing).

Or assign them a weight. When the link goes down, the routes attached to
this interface decrease in weight by NN. If there is any other route to
the same destination with greater weight, the packets are sent that way
instead.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------