Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 23:19:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
To:        bsdx@looksharp.net (Adam)
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Sun mice (fwd)

Adam drunkenly mumbled...

> Thanks, hmm, are they really ps/2 or just the same shape?  my ss2 has
> ports that look similar on the back and my mouse plugs into the
> keyboard.  This mouse only has 3 pins used, and the keyboard has 8 holes
> in the connector for the mouse, without a indentation that would allow a
> ps/2 mouse according to a $3 sample I picked up off the floor due to a
> protruding plastic part in the connector.. Might check if any of your

it has the sun keyboard/mouse port on the motherboard, and two ps/2 ports on
one of them blank plates stealing a PCI slot.  i have a ps/2 mouse and keyboard
plugged into it, tried plugging a type 6 keyboard and mouse into the sun k/m
port, but for some reason it didn't work.  luckily, the guy who has this thing
on his desk doesn't mind the ps style keyboard (i personally hate the pc style
keyboard since all the keys are in the wrong place *G*)

> sockets have room for one.  I'm using X11R6 on netbsd right now and I
> never made a configuration file of any kind, it just worked :> So I dont
> even know if X would support it natively.. I recall under XFree86 I needed
> to add a line to XF86Config and plop some stuff in my .Xdefaults

right, which is what i did for FreeBSD on my PC at work.  but i run Solaris 8
on my SS-5 at home, and i don't know if i have the ability to make OpenWin
(i refuse to run CDE, i hate it) use the wheel or not.  i'll know more on
monday night after i try it out.

cheers,

-brian