Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 1995 06:47:40 -0800
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: checksum files

 * Those of you who are masocists and also read the CVS commits list(s) will
 * have seen a large commit I made earlier to try and fix up most of the
 * remaining checksum-less ports. I've mainly left the print directory alone
 * 'cos of the problems Jean-Marc has had with the CTAN maintainers
 * re-timestamping files in the tarballs making the checksums fail when in
 * fact nothing has changed.

Great!

You might want to watch out for xfed, though.  It fetches all the
files by itself and tars them up (I think this happens in a couple of
other ports too, as I've seen a bunch of Fortran source in
/usr/ports/distfiles of thud).

Which means depending on the GZIP environment variable, you'll get a
different .tar.gz file.

Or maybe we can add "GZIP=--best" or something before tar...or let tar
spew the file out to stderr and pipe it to gzip -9.  In fact, I think
I'm going to do that now. :)

Satoshi

P.S. The relevant line in Makefile....
          tar -C ${.CURDIR}/src -czf ${DISTDIR}/${TARFILE} xfed; \