Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:46:31 -0700
From:      "David Christensen" <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: OT:KVM Switch

Mark Busby wrote:
> Looking at a Trendnet KVM TK-407K switch. It shows to work with linux. =
Has
> anyone=A0had success using it=A0with FreeBSD?=A0 I hate to waste time =
and money,
> even with the option of resale on eslay.=A0 Thanks for your time.

I've had good luck with my IOGear Miniview GCS 78 -- 8-port VGA, PS/2 =
keyboard,
PS/2 mouse.

I've used it with Win2k, WinXP, Win2003SBS, Debian GNU/Linux, Damn Small =
Linux,
and FreeBSD, in recent memory, and probably several more in the past.  =
I've also
used the GUC100KM PS/2 keyboard and mouse to USB converter successfully =
with
several platforms.

Sometimes I wish the KVM had sound, but what I really need to do is =
build a
matrix mixer/ distribution amp that sends each of eight line inputs to =
the other
seven outputs (e.g. no feedback loop)...

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> All KVM-switches I have encountered so far do not really interact at
> all with the OS, and therefore will work equally well with any OS.
> I see no reason to expect that KVM switch to be any different.

I ran into *severe* problems in the past using KVM's with older AT =
keyboard/
serial mouse machines.  Basically, I went through every unit available =
at Fry's
and returned them all.  Life only got better when I finally mothballed =
the
ancient hardware.  However, I do recall that IOGear worked correctly, =
but that I
returned it because the hot-key sequence started with Ctrl, Ctrl (Duke =
Nuk'em
3D's fire button).

Consider buying retail, so you can test the KVM with everything you have =
and
return it if you find compatibility problems and/or hot-key issues.

Dan Nelson wrote:
> Watch out for KVMs that use the scroll-lock key to switch computers,
> though.  That makes using scrollback history on the console a pain.

My KVM's hot-key sequence is Ctrl, Alt, Shift, <num>; in that order.  =
Thus far,
I haven't run into an conflicting application or platform.

Check the hot-key sequence of any unit before you buy.

HTH,

David