Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:47:07 -0700
From:      Dave Mangot <dmangot@mfi.pleasepleasenospamming.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.1 kernel, ssh 1.2.27, X11 fwd

I'm having a problem with X11 forwarding between my FreeBSD 3.1
box and Solaris 2.6 & 7.

Both are running ssh 1.2.27.

When I make an ssh connection to a regular terminal prompt,
everything goes through just fine.  When I try and
open up  an X11 app (xclock for instance) my FreeBSD shell
hangs and the X11 app never appears.

I've run ssh with -v and sshd -d (debug)  this is what I get.
(hostnames edited)
ssh -v:

myhost: Doing password authentication.
dave@fbsd1's password:
myhost: Requesting pty.
myhost: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
myhost: Requesting shell.
myhost: Entering interactive session.
Last login: Wed Jul 28 13:37:19 1999 from ...blah blah shows ENV next

DISPLAY=fbsd1.domain.com:10.0

Running /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth add fbsd.mfi.com:10.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
bd53e6c95a0f2a755555555b3d40376f
Running /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth add 192.168.3.4:10.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
bd53e6c95a0f2a33339ab92b3d40376f
No mail.
% xterm

Then it just hangs.

sshd -d:

debug: RSA authentication for dave failed.
log: Password authentication for dave accepted.
debug: Allocating pty.
debug: Ignoring unsupported tty mode opcode 16 (0x10)
debug: Ignoring unsupported tty mode opcode 37 (0x25)
debug: Ignoring unsupported tty mode opcode 52 (0x34)
debug: Ignoring unsupported tty mode opcode 71 (0x47)
debug: Ignoring unsupported tty mode opcode 73 (0x49)
debug: Ignoring unsupported tty mode opcode 74 (0x4a)
debug: Ignoring unsupported tty mode opcode 75 (0x4b)
debug: Received request for X11 forwarding with auth spoofing.
debug: Allocated channel 0 of type 1.
debug: Forking shell.
debug: Entering interactive session.
debug: Setting controlling tty using TIOCSCTTY.
debug: X11 connection requested.
debug: Received SIGCHLD.
error: Strange, got SIGCHLD and wait returned pid 12573 but child is
12498

Then I'm dead in the water.  Any ideas?

Compile flags for ssh were --with-x, --without-rsh, --with-libwrap,
--disable-asm

If I set the DISPLAY variable to myhost instead of the
bogus ssh display, I get the xclock no problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

					-Dave